Translate

Thursday 14 September 2023

An Account of Brethren in Hereford

A considerable number of years ago, I took it upon myself to seek out as many Halls and Rooms that were used by Brethren as suitable for their gatherings. My aspiration was to photograph them all for my personal record. I placed them in a sort of scrapbook, which sadly I have mislaid at present. I believe I began my endeavour by quite an extensive search in Devon, which had been a stronghold of the "Brethren Movement" for many years. It proved to be a rich harvest and encouraged me to continue my research.

I have never lost my desire to seek out places connected with that "movement." And quite some time ago when I was in gainful employment, my employment took me to Hereford. On a number of occasions, my wife and I searched for the meeting places utilised by Brethren there, but without success. (I don't know whether I possessed any of the Assembly listings back then). 

Just a few weeks ago I was delighted to locate and purchase a copy of "An Account of Brethren in Hereford" written by Dr. Langford with a foreword by W.R. Lewis. This little booklet appears to be somewhat rare. I believe it was printed in early 1959.

In such a brief sketch it was amazing to find it replete with wonderful instances of N.T. principles practiced in such humility. 

Significant mention is made of Captain Percy Francis Hall giving more details than can be found in "Chief Men Among the Brethren" compiled by Hy Pickering. 

Captain Hall resigned his commission in the Royal Navy at a considerable cost to himself on account of his Christian principles. Furthermore, he sold all his earthly possessions in order to share them with poorer believers.

In a tract, he described war as "authorised murder." In the same tract, he stated his scriptural view that "magistracy was an unfit office for a believer." 

There are references made to quite a number of well-known Brethren viz. J.N.Darby, William Kelly, Sir Edward Denny, Captain William Rhind R.N., and William Yapp among others.

The booklet also abounds with lovely anecdotes. The Lord's manifest help in obtaining a burial place for His own who "fell on sleep;" Sunday School work, meetings convened for young people, manifold instances of great and sacrificial generosity in giving and consistent and delightful hospitality; The tragic sorrow of a particular doctor in the local Assembly, who experienced the bereavement of a wife and their two young children, and three other children in his second marriage. The apparent "peculiar habit" of Dr. John Griffiths an esteemed surgeon, "having long devoted himself to the distribution of religious tracts." A man after my own mind, but not with whom I dare to compare I hastily add!

But I feel moved most of all by the sacrificial and determined efforts of some of the saints to attend the gatherings. "many came long distances (to Hereford,) from places as far away as Grosmont and Leominster. Two ladies coming from the country, able to obtain only one horse, rode it in turn to the meetings. One sister had to walk 10 miles to the meetings. Once when a continuous heavy rain had flooded the country and covered the road, she took off her shoes and stockings and waded through the water." A Christian gentleman arranged for her to be taken home in his horse-drawn carriage.

The close-up of this account seemed to drift almost palpably, into abject dismay. As if it were a portent of our sad demise today. The elation I felt at the commencement of my reading of this booklet, subsided into an inexplicable sadness and disheartenment. Unrelieved in discovering another account written in 2011 I believe, in which the author is bold to boast (as I see it), at the accounts' conclusion, in the obvious obliteration of everything those earlier saints in Hereford, held so dear!

Sadly it seems to "mirror" my own ongoing experience of demise among the Brethren My heart is broken! 




No comments:

Post a Comment