Translate

Tuesday 7 May 2013

The Languages of Judaism

"THE LANGUAGES OF JUDAISM"
The above title refers to an exhibition organised by: Patronat Call de Girona - Jewish History Museum. It is on-going now, having commenced in March, and continuing (D.V.) until September 30th 2013.
I was only briefly in Girona and stumbled across the exhibition as I always visit the Jewish Quarter there when I am in Spain. Although I only spent around half an hour viewing it, I found it totally fascinating.
Furthermore there proved to be something of invaluable interest to me, that may command your attention too. In the indispensable "Morrish Concise Bible Dictionary" first published in 1899, under the heading "Hebrew Bible," we read,"While the Hebrew language was a living language..."  and further, "There can be no doubt in studying Hebrew as a dead language..." (Emphasis mine.) At the time these statements were correct. But the exhibition educated me as to the present situation regarding the Hebrew language. I quote, "He (Eliezer Ben Yehuda*) was a great philologist who made it possible for the Hebrew language to become an active language again, spoken in all spheres, after many centuries of only being used as a language of prayer and writing."
Hebrew is undoubtedly one of the most singular languages in the history of mankind. One of the languages Divinely chosen to make known the mind and heart of God. It thrills me to know that it is once more a living language! 
*Eliezer Ben Yehuda 1858 - 1922.
 

No comments:

Post a Comment