Translate

Monday 6 May 2013

Bibliographies in recent Brethren Writings.
 
Just recently I managed to purchase a Brethren Commentary at a very reasonable price. One of the first things I do on buying an addition to my library is to consult the
Bibliography. I  expected the worse and it proved so! There are two Books of the O.T. Scriptures expounded in this volume.
25 Books were used for reference in the first exposition, and 12 in the second. A total of three writers associated with "Brethren" were consulted by the two authors. What caused me some amusement was the comment regarding the one "Brethren" writer who spent all his life as a believer in the Assemblies.
I quote, "By far the most spiritual and uplifting of all the commentaries consulted." My response is simple, why not consult other "Brethren" writers, when we have such a goodly heritage?
I confess I read but very little, (if any,) writers not associated with Brethren. In my experience over a half a century I have never discovered any literary works to vie with those of such men as J.N. Darby, William Kelly, F.W. Grant, C.H. Mackintosh, C.E. Stuart, Edward Dennett, F.C. Jennings, C.A.C., Samuel Ridout, John Ritchie, and scores more. 
Some of the works that were produced by them are unparallelled in the English language. 
Synopsis by J.N.D.
The Pentateuch by C.H.M.
Judges by J.T. Mawson
1 Samuel etc. by H.L. Rossier
Rebuilding Zion by F.B. Hole
Job by Samuel Ridout
Song of Solomon by Andrew Miller
Isaiah by F.C. Jennings
Gospel of John by William Kelly
Romans by C.S.
G.C. Willis on Philippians
The list just goes on and on, but for sake of brevity I stop there, but would willingly recommend many others if anyone is interested. 
 


No comments:

Post a Comment