Translate

Thursday 29 April 2021

29th April 1882  

Today is the 29th of April 2021, the 139th anniversary of the death of that beloved servant of Christ, J.N. Darby. I only became aware of this significant date because by coincidence I am reading: "Unknown and Well Known A biography of John Nelson Darby," having reached the chapter concerning his "last days." I have struggled from time to time in the reading of this volume authored by W.G. Turner, "with additional material by Edwin Cross." But in persevering, I have found much reward. 

I owe a debt of some magnitude to J.N.D. whose writings have given much help in understanding the Scriptures. But above all else, I am indebted to him for his "New Translation," for its unparalleled accuracy, ( in my humble opinion,) and for the sublimity of language he employed, so reminiscent of the beautiful Authorised Version.

Less than three weeks before "his home" call Darby humbly said, "I never knew till the other day, or thought, that "We love Him because He first loved us" refers to God, not Christ, as I have imagined. This is plain from the context." I admit I have always thought just as J.N.D. had done, what a lovely lesson to learn because the context DOES indeed make it plain.

One other little remark that I remember from a long time ago was his exhortation to "read the writings of John;" I think he perhaps thought that brethren read Paul's writings so much that John's writings were neglected. I thoroughly endorse Darbys' desire in this exercise.

Finally, I would just commend the hymns of which J.N.D. was the author. They are most sweet,  utterly occupied with Christ, and reach to such depths of spirituality in their perception and profundity.

  


No comments:

Post a Comment