Translate

Tuesday 19 August 2014

Withdrawal from Local Assembly

WITHDRAWAL FROM ASSEMBLY
I regret to say my wife and I have felt compelled to "withdraw" form our "local" Assembly. For some years we have been distressed and burdened by the evolving character of the "meeting." There has been a moving away from N.T. Church Principles, (as we understand them), to an ever growing attitude of "accommodating" almost anything, (presumably) with a view to "peace at any price."
We have made our dilemma a matter of constant prayer that we might know the will of the Lord and His clear directing. I have asked Him, humbly, over many months to "lead me out and lead me in," if it is His purpose, for His glory.
I exhort my fellow brethren and sisters in Christ, to exercise real discernment. It is apparent today that "love," so called, must make allowances for almost anything. But be warned, Accommodation will lead to Degeneration! "For narrow (how narrow) the gate and straitened the way." Matthew 7:14.
In my experience over a half century "in fellowship" with those commonly called Brethren," it has become ever more clear that many Assemblies I dominated by one or more men (and women), who possess a forceful character and attitude. Often the rest of the saints will "back down," and leave them a free hand, consoling themselves that not confronting the issue is "gracious." Grace and truth subsist together in Christ, you cannot have the one at the expense of the other.
I have little knowledge of the "state" of Assembly testimony much further afield than this S. Western part of England and S. Wales. But many of the Assemblies I know of in this area are "dying on their feet," both numerically and spiritually as the "gate" is opened ever wider!
I was informed only yesterday, that a particular Assembly had "received" a brother into Assembly fellowship. I am not sure how quickly he acted, but certainly he acted decisively, in "compelling" the company to desist from reading the Version of the Scriptures read publically there, and revert to the modern version of his preference! They all "accommodated" him except for one brother who withdrew! This is not an isolated case of "new" believers "infiltrating" unsuspecting, loose or wide Assemblies and causing confusion and division.
We are in desperate need of brethren who will stand up and be counted, to keep His Word and not deny His Name. We need to pray that we will not allow the fear of men, even our brethren, to cause us to move away from the truth that is "in Christ."
There are worse cases of "accommodation leading to Degeneration" of which I am aware; one Assembly even permitting a couple living in an adulterous relationship, to not only be "received," but to allow the brother to take a prominent part in the Assembly gatherings!
I will not continue in this vein, surely this is enough to put us on our guard, and to humble us under the mighty hand of God!
  

No comments:

Post a Comment