Translate

Tuesday 10 January 2012

The Septuagint with Apocrypha.

The Septuagint with Apocrypha. Published by Hendrickson, 14th Printing 2011.
I recently bought a copy of the Septuagint as I felt it would be another useful "tool" in my study of the Scriptures. Quite a number of writers make reference to it, but of course they are not able to copy huge portions of it as footnotes or appendices.
I chose to purchase the translation by Sir L.C.L. Brentons as his edition as recommended by Jim Flanigan. He suggested that it was "a most helpful edition." It gives the complete Greek text with an  English translation in parallel columns. The Apocrypha is appended, which did give me some cause for alarm, as it is unequivocally NOT a part of Holy Scripture. As far as I am able to judge the only benefit of the Apocrypha lies in its historical value. This particular edition of the Apocrypha is complete as it includes some books often omitted, such as 3&4 Maccabees.The biggest drawback for the reader/student is that the English text is very small. It is a nice looking and well-bound book, but very expensive!

No comments:

Post a Comment