Translate

Friday 12 April 2024

To Sing or Not to Sing

Due to incorrect "science," or "science falsely so-called," the vast majority of believers within the "Assemblies" have desisted from singing for close to twelve months. The original advice (not legislation,) from the UK Government was to stop singing as it increased the risk of transmitting/contracting Covid-19. This misguided practice continues as the amount of credence and public airing of this misinformation has never been replaced with the later scientific conclusion admitting that singing was no more "dangerous" than speaking. Unfortunately, if brethren and sisters are given this updated and correct information it has little or no effect on many of them as they appear to be perfectly happy with the new "norm." I have referred to some of these new practices on an earlier occasion, especially in relation to the Lords' Supper. With others, though numerically few, I fear that "virtual" meetings have gripped many of the Lord's people, and perhaps "physically" attended meetings will prove to be few and far between, or indeed, non-existent!

I digress from my little thought, "to sing or not to sing." My individual view is obvious from what I have already written. But I really wanted to add something even more personal. I truly miss singing the beautiful hymns that form an integral part of our praise, I believe such singing is a component part of our worship, but I know that some would not agree.

Some considerable years ago in the Assembly with which I was then identified, a few of the gathered saints literally overnight foisted upon the entire unsuspecting Assembly an additional hymnbook of dubious character. The Assembly was already waning spiritually in a number of serious ways and was subsequently exposed as having tolerated it in its denial of gross misconduct within. (It has never owned its dreadful failure in refusing to believe a significant weight of evidence clearly presented to them.) Mercifully long before the exposure I and my family had withdrawn.

In confining myself to the simple subject before me I will just indicate how the above disclosure has a bearing on it. When I graciously protested at the unannounced determination to introduce the hymnbook, (which by the way would of necessity need musical accompaniment for some of the hymns,) the retort was "why make such a protest over a hymnbook?" I felt first of all that it showed a lack of spiritual discernment, but also surprise that they had not realised how much of their time in Assembly gatherings and Gospel Meetings was spent in singing! Surely singing MUST be of significance in the light of its obvious prevalence at these times! The only other conclusion must be that singing is vain and futile.

Well, in feeling so aggrieved at being deprived of opportunities to sing with the spirit and the understanding, making a joyful noise unto the Lord, and only able to "meet" with my wife, (who is a very fine singer,) I decided to find a number of CDs containing hymns from the "Little Flock Hymnbook" to listen to them being sung by fellow believers and to sing along with them in the solitude of my study. I have located three CDs and hope to find a little time most days to spend in this way. Thus I will continue to remember the words we joy in singing and perhaps rehearse the appropriate tunes to them.  

I have updated this post as I believe that the consequences of blindly following the Government's "advice," as stated in my first paragraph, have proved to be unequivocally correct. I find no pleasure or satisfaction in this pronouncement, only sadness of soul. 


No comments:

Post a Comment