Translate

Saturday 13 January 2024

 His Obedience--His Death--His Cross

Philippians 2:8.

I have struggled to formulate expressions of utmost clarity and reverence in connection with a stanza within this ineffably sublime verse in the Word of God.

But this morning my thoughts were captivated by its wonder and I was compelled to ponder it afresh.

Of late there has been an oft-repeated interpretation of a part of this verse: "He ... became obedient until or up to death."

It is used in an attempt to negate the awful concept of Christ being obedient to the "thing" called death.

But this suggestion as to translation falls far short of the immeasurable extremity of His obedience.

The translation in the A.V. is not "obedient to death," as though death had the mastery of Him; but "unto death."

He did not "obey" death, nor succumb to it, but beckoned it to come, He commanded death, and death obeyed Him!

He plumbed the untold depths of death in His exclusively rare obedience: "This commandment have I received of My Father;" "I do always the things that are pleasing to Him."

John 10:18; John 8:29.

The immensity of His sufferings and the death He died are divinely expressed when we further read in that verse, "Himself ... becoming obedient unto death, and that (or, "even") the death of the cross." Philippians 2:8.

I fear that if such a suggestion of translation gains a hold it will seriously undermine the measure and the magnitude of His obedience, along with the reality of His death;

That death which is the grandest, most glorious truth of the Faith, and of our faith in Him.

 

These thoughts are mine alone, that is I do not know of any other brother addressing this matter; I personally accept all responsibility for this feeble effort to honour Christ Jesus.

I trust that my brethren will understand that I long that they may believe that I have written this in humility, and graciously too, would it please the Lord.

T.W.

No comments:

Post a Comment