Translate

Sunday 30 October 2016

Philip Henry Gosse

Philip Henry Gosse
Some years ago I read the "classic" "Father and Son," authored by Edmund Gosse, the only son of Philip and Emily Gosse.
The first time I read it, I found it strangely poignant, and quite an enjoyable exercise. A few years later I re-read it and found little delight at all!
The book now appeared to be somewhat inaccurate and biased. I felt for Philip and spent some time and effort searching for works by him as well as about him. From what I learnt it seems apparent that Edmund maligned him most dreadfully!
Books by Philip Gosse, certainly early print-runs are scarce and expensive. I managed to buy four modern re-prints.
This morning I dipped into his book titled "The Mysteries of God: A Series of Expositions of Holy Scripture;" first published in 1884.
I turned to one of his papers on the "Rapture." On reading the article it became clear to me that I would find little help there as I was unable to follow his argument and had no idea what some of the expressions meant!
Philip Gosse excelled in a number of disciplines not least Marine Biology; he appears to be the "inventor" of the "aquarium." But I think I will look elsewhere for the teaching of the Scriptures! But I do love him in the Lord, or at least the memory of him.    


No comments:

Post a Comment