Translate

Saturday 8 August 2015

John Metcalfe

John Metcalfe: A man of The Word or the words of a man?
Only yesterday I contemplated purchasing a book written by John Metcalfe. It had to do with the Psalms. I could not decide if it was a commentary or a new "poetic version." I was interested because I love the Psalms, and as an avid book collector suitably impressed by its binding and condition; a hardback with a dust jacket; other collectors will understand! Of course the content was or paramount importance.

But from the outset I was uneasy and decided to research John Metcalfe. I am relieved that I did, and did so before I had committed myself to the purchase.
There exists a John Metcalfe trust and "they" have issued a brief biography of this man. To read it with an open mind and not experience incredulity would be to defy even human logic. Metcalfe is eulogised beyond belief! He is presented as being (practically) unimpeachable.

The account of his conversion is dramatic, (all conversions are I admit,) but his "sensational," I mean in the worldly sense. His labours are portrayed as more abundant than almost any other servant of the Lord. (He is said to work for 17 hours a day, every day, every week, every month, every year! And often with fasting.) Yet he received "ordination" at the hand of men and associated with various denominations and identified himself with different organisations.

For a period of seven years he withdrew into a monastic way of life. Forsaking the assembling together with other believers; never "breaking bread," (I have no idea whether he ever did or has since.) Another protracted period of isolation from the Lords' people occurred, lasting for three more years.

He is "at present not access, even to the trustees," because he is engaged in an "immense undertaking" writing, now reaching into its 14th year! I take it that he has been isolated during those years too!

Metcalfe lives "a  solitary and celibate life," although his house is kept and cleaned, and his meals provided by a "Dutch housekeeper!" She does not live on the premises.

Sufficient I suggest to cast doubts upon the spirituality of this man as to his practical life.  As to his words: He has written a pamphlet entitled "Premillennialism Exposed." He is entitled to his views, (however false I may deem them to be;) but his remark that "The dispensationalist finds himself however unintentionally the advocate of a system which tears down the edifice of grace and tramples underfoot the Son of God in a humiliating reign of confusion." That is enough to repel me and anger me also. Doubtless numerous other saints present, and saints of a bygone day, who so laboured in the Word would agree. Brethren beware of the "teachings" of this man, whose advocates say he speaks as "thus saith the Lord, when in fact it is not The Word of God, but mere (false) words of a man.





No comments:

Post a Comment