Translate

Wednesday 21 January 2015

New King James Version

NEW KING JAMES VERSION
Some time ago I asked why this version was needed. I have yet to receive any answer of reasonable validity or authority. That numerous "Brethren" have been gripped by it gives no weight to the arguments set forth for its use.
Many assert that the A.V. is inexplicable to modern man, as it is couched in ancient language. But it has been used for over 400 years, why suddenly has it become unintelligible? God has been pleased to bless this translation as none other!
Are we to kowtow to the worlds' thinking?
Strange that the population of today has no difficulty with the language of Shakespeare or even Chaucer!
What of the argument that suggests it was written in the language "of the day," i.e. the population then used "Thee" and "Thou" when addressing one another? That is fallacious! One has only to refer to the preface preceding the text of that Translation to see that this was NOT the case!
In my own experience I discovered very early, by Gods' grace, the inestimable value of reading the Authorised Version of the Scriptures. When in my early teens I received a copy of the New English Bible New Testament, I read it eagerly thinking that this would solve my difficulty in understanding the Word, imagining that it was the archaic language of the A.V. that prevented me from grasping the truths of the Bible! I was saved, but ill-taught, yet very soon I set it aside as lacking any authority  or power.
In my latter teens, a "brother" persuaded me to adopt the R.S.V. Again my reading a "new" version stopped abruptly, under the good hand of God I verily believe. The "brother" held Christadelphian views, denying every fundamental truth of the Scriptures. The R.S.V. obviously was easily used to apply their false interpretation of the Word of God! 
I am not slavish when it comes to the A.V. but I read it every day of my life, (in conjunction with J.N.Ds' version,) and I read it publicly, believing this to be respectful and diminishing confusion. The A.V. has its faults, but they are easily addressed by referring to more literal translations.
One very serious problem associated with the N.K.J. Version has to do with the distinction between singular and plural numbers in grammar. This may appear at first as of little account. But the personal pronoun "you" in our English language can be either singular or plural, and the context will not always help one distinguish which is meant. Many Scriptures are "robbed" of their precision, preciousness and power where the text reads "you." Furthermore I judge that it leads to familiarity when addressing the Person of our God (and His lovely Son.) Put it to the test, you may well be surprised. Believe it or not, this is sufficient to prevent me from reading this version!

No comments:

Post a Comment