A Pathway Retraced
About a decade ago my wife and I were compelled to "withdraw" rom a local Assembly; and we felt vindicated when the Lord "removed the Lampstand" so soon after. But last Wednesday I felt somewhat exercised about being cooped-up at home trying to stay out of the unbearable heat and subsequently losing opportunities to spread the Glad Tidings. Surprisingly I remembered a road in the district where the Gospel Hall had closed. Each year we had distributed Gospel Calendars to thousands of homes in that area. And from time to time "tracted" different parts of that neighbourhood.
The road I had in mind included a number of blocks of flats. It was an extremely hot day and I thought delivering in those particular buildings would be fairly comfortable as cooler than outside. It prove to be so, but although there were six buildings, two more than I remembered, the number of flats in each was a real disappointment,
Nevertheless, along with a few houses opposite the flats we, my wife and I managed to deliver 59 Via Magazines. Far less than I had hoped and catered for, carrying 350 copies in our car! But still it was a little task accomplished for the Master. And the excessive heat would not allow of more effort outdoors. Old age robs one of so much energy, and the ability to bear with the temperature. But I did feel some relief from the the disconsolate failings of the previous few weeks.
It is a joy to serve the Saviour how ever feebly; I hope this will encourage some hearts as the heatwave continues unabated. I KNOW the Lord has a purpose in it, even if I cannot comprehend what He intends for His glory, and that of His Son's too.
T.W.
No comments:
Post a Comment