Translate

Friday 5 July 2024

Thoughts as to the Believer and Politics. 

I will begin by announcing my stand on this isuue so that you will be able to conclude your reading as early as you would wish.

I have nothing to do with politics in any shape or form. I have never voted in any election whatsoever, and I never intend so to do.

Without looking for help from anyone, not even those godly servants of Christ in an earlier century, those who have "fallen asleep in Jesus;" but wholly trusting that the Holy Spirit of God Himself will act as my Divine Instructor, I pen this for your prayerful consideration.

The U.K. has just engaged in a General Election; and in man's wisdom, but permitted by our God, they have elected an avowed atheist to the highest position in the Land. Before I outline my position before the Lord, I would ask believers who have cast their vote, are you not responsible in any way, guilty of what has taken place? An atheist in power in our nation that once purported to have based its laws and judicial dealings upon the Word of God! 

Now dear brethren and sisters in Christ, did you seek His face that He might guide you? Did you receive any guidance? I believe the answer can only be "I did not!" Why do I dare make such a bold declaration? Because we have a man who denies the very existence of God, and therefore is "without Christ" now occupying that first position. And furthermore why did not EVERY believer vote in uniformity? I heard a snippet of a little discussion among Brethren which grieved me, for they were taken up with the "tomorrow" and in total disagreement about which "Party" to vote for in the Election. How is that possible?

Now to my thoughts as to the Biblical stance I have taken, thankfully along with countless others of the Lord's people, I verily believe.

Now Brethren what is our "standing" in relationship with the world? We are "Saints by calling," or literally "called saints;" we are never called to aspire to sainthood, we are not exhorted to become saints, we are saints, each of us, and all of us! And what does this imply if it is not personal SEPARATION? it is consecration; and its derivatives imnclude, "chaste, clean, pure, innocent, blameless, holy." It is reminiscent of the Nazarite-character of Numbers 6.       Romans 1:1; 1 Corinthians 1:2; See 2 Corinthians 1:1, 13:13; Ephesians 1:12; Colossians 1:4. 

We are "Strangers and Pilgrims," in this world. We are not "at home," and we are only "passing through." A "stranger" in Scripture is simply a guest,  but as to the force of the word, "an alien resident," or a "by-dweller;" A "Pilgrim" has even more emphasis on our "strangerhood" here in this scene; we are said to be "an alien alongside." Hebrews 11:13; 1 Peter 2:11. 

Indeed, our "conversation is in heaven;" A.V. That word "conversation" is  translated differently in other Versions of the Word of God. "Citizenship," "manner of life," are but two examples. The word in the original is "POLITEUMA," i am using the transliteration for those of us who know little or nothing of the N.T. Greek language. But you only need to look at the word to see that it has reference to our English word "politics." As far as I am aware, you are not permitted to vote in another Nation's elections. Philippians 3:20.

Furthermore we are "Ambassadors for Christ," as was the Apostle Paul, although he was an "ambassador in bonds." Thus, we are in the world as Ambassadors, by implication to "act as a representative;" figuratively "a member of a celestial council;" and figuratively a "preacher."                            2 Corinthians 5:20; Ephesians 6:20.

We need to remind our hearts that we are IN the world but we are not OF it! Listen to the words of the Master, the only begotten Son speaking to the Father: "I have given them Thy word," the Word of God in testimony, "and the world has hated them, because they are not of the world, as I am not of the world." "I do not demand that Thou shouldest take them out of the world, but that Thou shouldest keep them out of the evil. They are not of the world, as I am not of the world." John 17:14-16.

I conclude that we have no warrant in the Word of God to engage in politics, just the aboslute opposite. Indeed our only responsibility "politically if you will, is to pray for "all that are in authority" over us;" those granted derived authority. 1 Timothy 2:1,2.

Finally Brethren, "The powers that be are ordained (appointed) by God;" In awe-ful reverence I exhort you to "leave it with Him." 

The responsibility for all that I have written in this "Post" lies only with me. I do not pretend to speak on behalf of "Brethren, commonly so called," nor on behalf of the Assembly with which I am peresently identified, nor any other Assembly.

Tom Wyatt Gathered unto the name of our Lord Jesus Christ with the saints at Corsham Wiltshire U.K.

Email: tw007q5184@blueyonder.co.uk

   

No comments:

Post a Comment